Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Plate!

Our cast photographer was generous enough to provide me with a picture of me in my plate costume wearing the COOL hat I made! Never mind my awkward expression - I'm sure I was in the middle of some word like... "word". I'm normally very good at smiling and dancing at the same time, but not so sure about smiling, dancing AND singing. ;-)

Valerie as a Plate!

Don't you just love my Princess Leia wig I'm wearing?


Opening weekend was great! We performed to two essentially sold out houses! Folks walking out of the theater said things like "This is the best show I've ever seen on this stage" and "Wow!" Reviews on Artsopolis are raves as well. Please book your tickets now for the remaining three weekends. Just call: (408) 266-4734 and tell them you're coming to see Valerie!

7 comments:

  1. LInk to image doesn't work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - old upload image thing in this blog editor used to actually upload. Now it just links, so it was pointing to my internal home directory (which works fine for me...). The image is now hosted on bubb.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie
    love the plate costume and hat. i need to make 5 for my school play. How did you make them?
    Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That plate looks both heavy and cumbersome; you're doing well to dance in it, and much more, to put a smile on your face in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris
    The hats are made by cutting out circles in the satin that are about 6 inches in diameter (all hats can be cut at the same time by folding over the material). You need two pieces of satin for each hat. Then cut out a similar sized piece of interfacing (one for each hat). Sew the satin (shiny sides facing each other) with interfacing on one side. Leave about 1.5 inches unsewn. Turn "right side out", sew the remaining opening closed. Sew long lace around the hat - about 1/2 an inch in from the edge (doing so leaves the women somewhere to put their bobby pins!). Slightly cut the ostrich feathers so they curl, then stitch them onto the top of the hat. Viola! Hat!
    If you have more time, you might be able to hot-glue a barrette to the bottom of the hats to make it easier to attach.
    It took me about two hours to do these all - and it would take a lot less time if I ever do it again.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Valerie, We need to create a plate costume for a children's play. This one is amazing! How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve - we rented the actual plate & costume, I only made the hats! I can tell you that the plate was made of light wood and attached onto a little backpack. The straps of the harness are covered with material that is died blue (in the photo, it looks like ruffles on my shoulders). The base is a standard satin dance leotard, with chiffon loosely attached. The plate spun! (which actually makes it tricky to dance in!)

    ReplyDelete