Thursday, October 18, 2007

GHC: Neat things!

Wow, what a fun day!

I had a total blast at the banquet - it was great hearing about all the awesome accomplishments of all those magnificient women! I was so happy to be a part of their celebration! All presenters were asked to give 20 words of advice, but since I didn't have my laptop, I didn't capture any of them. I do hope someone posts them, though! One of the best pieces of advice that I do remember (and agree with!) is read every email you send at least twice before sending. :-) I just wish I had the time to do that! I have over 3000 mails in my inbox - and I've removed myself from most email aliases, so most of this is not junk. So, I find myself between a rock & a hard place sometimes: annoy people because I haven't responded to their mail, or annoy them because I have too terse of a response. Hrm. Have any of you come up with good strategies for handling that? If so, please leave a comment on my actual blog and not on the Grace Hopper site (so I can see it). (for those of you reading this via my actual blog, just click on the comments link below this entry.)

Cool things from today:

  • talking to students about their research in networking & security
  • meeting up with folks from Purdue
  • getting a special Purdue Computer Science shirt made specially for this conference!
  • working at the Sun recruiting booth and getting to talk to lots of fascinating women
  • attending excellent sessions all day long! I can't wait until tomorrow!
  • DANCING with 100s of women

Odd things from today:

  • Head waiter insisting: "There is no tuna at this table" when 5 of us had indeed been served tuna, vs the mahi mahi other folks were eating. I might not be able to tell the difference between mahi mahi and cod, but tuna is unmistakable. I don't care what the chef or head waiter claimed - we were eating tuna.
  • Waiter saying "Yeah, this is decaf"... and it wasn't. "I am Cornholio! I need TP for my..."well, you know where that is going, and my normally uncaffeinated body was a bit spastic with the regular coffee at 8PM. Not sure if I'll get to sleep tonight or not! Poor Jen - nobody wants to hang out with Cornholio.


Valerie Fenwick


. You may comment on this blog by visiting the GHC Forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment